Subject: [Leica] Re: M8 problems
From: jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore)
Date: Sat Sep 1 11:35:29 2007

2007-08-31-23:25:12 R. Clayton McKee:
> All I was asking was whether the M8 in raw had the exposure latitude
> to get me down to EI 40 type shutter/aperture/light level
> combinations the way Velvia (or the 1DIIn) does, without blowing the
> highlights completely out.  Separated from all the other (not
> particularly helpful) answers the response seems to be a resounding
> "maybe."

I'd slightly clarify that to "probably not".  The M8 shares with other
digital cameras I've used the characteristic that it really isn't very
forgiving of overexposure -- well, mostly like 'chrome film, which
you're clearly already used to working with.  The highlight recovery
tool in Lightroom and Camera Raw does a creditable job of helping
compress raw highlights into a useful range if they aren't truly blown,
but two stops of overexposure -- 160 to 40 -- I wouldn't count on it.
So slap a 2-stop ND filter on, and you'll probably be quite happy.

Because overexposure is the easiest way to blow pictures, I routinely
set the M8 to underexpose by 2/3 stop if the light is even the slightest
bit contrasty.  The M8 has a bunch of underexposure latitude to pull
pictures out of while still maintaining good quality.

 -Jeff

Message from leica at rcmckee.com (R. Clayton McKee) ([Leica] Re: M8 problems)