Subject: [Leica] M8 cleaning mystery ("But English *is* their nativelanguage")
From: reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid)
Date: Sat Sep 1 13:16:01 2007

> This page,
>
> http://www.visibledust.com/products3.php?pid=3
>
> On the centre right hand tab, where it says Video Demo.

Ah. That page is for a product that I don't have (the Arctic Butterfly) so I
didn't look there. Thanks.

I'm finding that it's very tedious getting all of the dust out of the M8.
I've now been through 6 or 7 complete cycles of opening it, cleaning it with
the fancy brush, closing it, taking test pictures, discovering that there's
still dust in there, and trying again.

In every case, the first exposure after I brush the sensor shows dust specks
in one pattern, and then all subsequent exposures show it in a different
pattern. It's as if the shutter knocks the dust around but then it clings to
the sensor in its new location.

Each time I do it there is less dust, so I suppose if I do it a LOT more,
maybe 10 or 15 or 20 applications of the brush with a "recharge" each time,
it will get it all.

This is the first arena I've come across in which a film camera is superior
to a digital camera. The image sensor in a film camera is single-use and
disposable. If dust gets on the sensor you can just advance the shutter and
get a fresh clean new sensor. In a digital camera it's always the same.

Replies: Reply from reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid) ([Leica] M8 cleaning mystery ("But English *is* their nativelanguage"))
Reply from images at comporium.net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] M8 cleaning mystery ("But English *is* their nativelanguage"))