Subject: [Leica] M8 cleaning mystery
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon Sep 3 11:49:28 2007

> I also find it interesting that the care and treatment of expensive
> automobile finishes is always done with wet cleaning because (so the car
> manuals tell us) brushing or wiping them when they are dry will scratch
> them,
> but many people are afraid to do wet cleaning of their sensor. I think I
> should be afraid to put Turtle Wax on my sensor, but should not be afraid
> clean it with a sensor-cleaning liquid.

And lets not forget that we're really not cleaning the sensor
But the anti-aliasing glass in front of it. Or plain glass. (not plane
glass)

" Contrary to the urban myths that propagate like viruses on computer
discussion boards, no digital camera with interchangeable lenses has a
exposed imaging sensor. All either have a glass anti-aliasing filter or an
optical glass cover"
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/sensor-cleaning.shtml
Understanding Digital SLR Sensor Cleaning

Mark William Rabiner
Harlem, NY

rabinergroup.com