Subject: [Leica] Southern Decadence, in B&W
From: nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Wed Sep 5 21:31:40 2007

Sorry, but I disagree. I know it is politically correct to say these
days that all fanatics are equally bad, but from a practical standpoint
this is simply not the case. I cannot recall any terrorist incidents
perpetrated by, say, fanatical Mormons or the Hassidim. While fanatical
Baptists in the US have committed a few crimes such as shooting of an
abortion doctor, these are isolated incidents. We should call a spade a
spade. Within the past week terrorist plots have been uncovered in
Denmark and Germany. Earlier this year, there were car bombs in the UK;
then we have July 7th 2005 in London,  March 11th 2004 in Madrid,
September 11th 2001 in New York and Washington...the list goes on. Here
in the Netherlands, religion may be freely criticized, but pick the
religion you criticize carefully...a film director was murdered on the
street in Amsterdam in 2005 for making a film criticizing Islam's
treatment of women; an ex-Muslim politician of Somali origin, Hirsi Ali,
was effectively hounded out of the country (she is in the US now) in
2006; and an anti-immigrant politician, Geert Wilders, is currently
living under police protection for expressing anti-Koran views.

So no, while on an intellectual level all fanatics may be equally
idiotic, on a practical level there IS a difference between them, a
difference quite significant to our daily lives here in the liberal West.

Nathan

--
Nathan Wajsman
Almere, The Netherlands