Subject: [Leica] Question about Lightroom and an Epson 3800 Printer
From: lists at gilplant.com (J. Gilbert Plantinga)
Date: Fri Sep 7 19:51:01 2007

The Epson driver runs at a native resolution of 360 ppi. If you send
the printer anything else it resamples the image. This resolution is
not to be confused with the dither or screening resolution which on
the 3800 may be anywhere from 720 to 2880 dpi (and at some
resolutions the dot size is variable). Note that the setting in
Ligtroom is "ppi" that's Pixels Per Inch; and the various settings in
the Epson Print Dialog are "dpi" Dots (of ink) Per Inch.

So to answer your question a little more directly, no there is
nothing wrong with specifying 480 ppi, but the printer driver will
down-sample the file, and it may be a little slower because the 480
ppi file is larger.

Hope this helps,

Gilbert
http://www.upstatelight.com