Subject: [Leica] OT-UK university information request
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Sun Sep 9 15:44:51 2007

Hi Mike
Leeds is pretty much cutting edge in 3D reservoir modeling/analysis
software development (ROXAR) , fractals, visualisation and the like.
As an example, take a look at Oil Online's article on Roxar - although
this is more at the commercial end of oil and gas exploration, it is
typical of the work going on in Leeds.
A few years ago I wanted to start using this kind of stuff for locating
geothermal sources (high-pressure steam) at extreme depth in faulted
rocks in the Larderello region of Tuscany, but nobody was interested in
putting up the big money at the time.

http://www.oilonline.com/news/headlines/firms_faces/20050531.Roxar_la.18135.asp

For the University itself:
http://www.see.leeds.ac.uk/study/phd/es-degrees.htm

Leeds is now one of the brightest redeveloped ex-industrial UK cities,
full of media, advertising, and lifestyle concerns, superb social life,
clubs, pubs, music, galleries, bars...

For the beauties of the surrounding area, Google on Yorkshire Dales,
Yorkshire, York, North York Moors, for the area immediately around Leeds
on Airedale or Wharfedale

Durham is a rather more conservative small town with an excellent
university and a wonderful cathedral, resonably close to the wonderful
North Sea coast and the city of Newcastle, cultural centre of the North
East, in the cCounty of Northumberland (Google on Northumberland and
Tyneside)

Take a look here:
http://www.dur.ac.uk/earth.sciences/research/research_groups/geophysics/

Cheers
Douglas (ex-Exploration Geophysicist (Seismic processing) at
Prakla-Seismos, Geco-Prakla, Schlumberger, Western-Geco) and born in
Leeds (which was still a filthy, run-down industrial city when I left in
1971)