Subject: [Leica] For airplane fans- Spitfires, Hurricane and Mustang
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Mon Sep 10 23:14:17 2007

At 07:03 PM 9/10/2007, G Hopkinson wrote:
 >Bob, as I understand it the clipped wings were part of modifications,
 >intended to improve performance against the newer Focke-Wulf
 >190. I think the clipped wings improved roll rate.
 >It definitely seemed to mess up the elegant wing shape.
 >Probably Marc or someone will tell us the story! I recall a phrase
 >quoted from the period, "clipped, cropped and clapped out" or
 >something like that, referring to the modified airframes.

Hoppy

Yes, the clipped wings were to improve the roll
rate.  The tale of the Spitfire design is very
complex and has resulted in dozens of books.  The
best single source, in my view is in William
Green's FAMOUS FIGHTERS OF THE SECOND WORLD
WAR.  In fine, the British were blindsided by a
couple of German developments, such as their
problematic fuel-injection system but, in the
end, British engineers tended to always be a jump
ahead of the Germans.  The Spitfire was quite
possibly the most satisfactory fighter of the
Second World War, albeit it had short legs.

The Spitfire has had six decades of horrid press
in Australia due to its relatively poor
performance in 1942 in the north.  But, then,
this poor performance was more a factor of poor
training, lousy logistics, and lack of
support.  Eric Bergerund pretty well restores the
Spitfire to its proper status in his book on the
aerial war in the Pacific in the Second World War.

I quit flying over a chance remark regarding a
Spitfire but that is a tale for a different day.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Replies: Reply from hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson) ([Leica] For airplane fans- Spitfires, Hurricane and Mustang)