Subject: [Leica] Never hold a dogleash with your elbow while changing lenses
From: leica at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig)
Date: Tue Sep 18 05:00:24 2007

Seems to be a bad week for some LUGgers like Daniel and me.

Was at the Rheinfall in Schaffhausen with one of my sons and our dog. Had
the dogleash in the left ellbow and wanted to change two lenses, a 15mm
Heliar and a 50mm collapsible Summicron. Following Murphy's law the dog
pulled the leash in the very wrong moment, and both lenses dropped off my
hands to the stoney ground, at the border of the Rhein river. The heavier
Summicron stayed in front of me, the lighter Heliar rolled over the stones
toward the water. With a brilliant goalkeeper dive roll parade my son could
catch it before it reached the river.

No glass was touched. But the brass bayonet mount of the Summicron has a
tough ding which needs to be filed off. That's less bad than what happened
to the Aluminium body of the Heliar. The inbuilt hood wing was slightly
bended toward the lens, and both aperture and focus rings were strongly hit
and are now almost unusable. I can focus when the aperture ring is at wide
open, but as soon as I stop down, the focus ring is completely blocked. The
aperture ring itself needs much power to move.

I have now fixed it to f5.6-8 (sweet spot of that lens) and almost at
infinity - a setting that works in 90% of the shots I make with it.

Maybe I'll disassemble it one day. Will see.

Didier

Replies: Reply from ricc at mindspring.com (Ric Carter) ([Leica] Never hold a dogleash with your elbow while changing lenses)
Reply from vick.ko at sympatico.ca (Vick Ko) ([Leica] Never hold a dogleash with your elbow while changing lenses)