Subject: [Leica] Dodo
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed Sep 19 09:27:24 2007

http://www.magnumphotos.com/archive/C.aspx?VP=Mod_ViewBoxInsertion.ViewBoxIn
sertion_VPage&R=2K7O3RHMJYCF&RP=Mod_ViewBox.ViewBoxThumb_VPage&CT=Album&SP=A
lbum

This Leica thread is a Stub.
Feel free in enlarge upon it yourself.
Feed it. Its short.

I went to the opening last night at the Leica Gallery on Broadway in
Greenwich village of prints by Richard Kalvar.
His prints looked great and it was nicer seeing them then seeing his slides
last October for the LHSA thing in Wetzlar.
It was like seeing the originals.
And with no jet lag.
And the lights on.
Talked to a guy from Montauk point for two hours.

I forsook my skinny LowePro Sling 100 and crammed a Nikon D40x with 45mm
sliver Cosina pancake on it into a Domke F-5XB Shoulder/Belt Bag (Black)
with very few odds and ends and traveled light; nothing over my shoulder and
No room for a Russian Novel.

I feel less safe walking down dark streets with the D40 you can't defend
yourself with it. A D200 you can. Its heavier than a M6 with a motor drive
and 40mm Summicron which I'll be carrying with me next week.
Probably to the Nikon Gallery opening.

I stood right next to Elliot Erwitt he could have been HCB I'd have been no
less excited. Last time I was there it was Ralph Gibson. Same deal only it
was in the back room as I was sitting down getting ready for an appendicitis
attack a few days later.
I wanted to tell Elliot Erwitt how he changed my thanksgivings forever.
A documentary I saw on him decades ago took you though his house and studio
much of it given up to film making (movies) and at one point it was
thanksgiving. And they had a turkey at one end of the long table and a ham
at the other. I said "lets to that" and we did!
For several years.

Love Elliot Erwitt's dogs.

Kalvar shoots a few dogs himself.

There's as many dogs around here as people.
They are always gleefully happy. But seem a little guilty looking like
they're getting away with something and they hope no one notices.
Like "this much fun can't be legal" kind of thing.

That's me in Greenish Village.

Oops the Nikon House in Rockefeller center seems to have gone the way of the
Dodo. Its hard when you cater to a niche market.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Dodo_1.JPG

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?shs=Domke+f5xb+bag&ci=0&sb=p
s&pn=1&sq=desc&InitialSearch=yes&O=RootPage.jsp&A=search&Q=*&bhs=t

Mark William Rabiner
rabinergroup.com

Replies: Reply from philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent) ([Leica] Dodo)
Reply from ricc at mindspring.com (Ric Carter) ([Leica] Dodo)