Subject: [Leica] Memories from the days of summer
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Tue Sep 25 11:35:32 2007

On 9/25/07, Lottermoser George <imagist3@mac.com> wrote:
> Holy s**t! Adam. That is the most gorgeous baseball photograph I've
> ever seen. I've never enjoyed the game that much. Yet, I've always
> enjoyed the feel of being at a game; most especially when played on a
> well kept "open" field. You've captured the essence of that. The
> domes and other structures, covered totally by advertising have
> ruined the 'open field' feeling of baseball for me.

George, you have that right. For the money the best baseball
experience to be had is in the minor leagues. Even at the Class A
level there are wonderful small ballparks, intimate, designed with all
the lessons learned from the great new (and old) parks. Our seats
would cost $100+ each at an average major league ball park. In
Sacramento they are $20 and the best seats in the house. The ball
players sign autographs before and after the games -- they know: no
bucks, no buck rogers. They're glad to be playing baseball. Their
salaries are at the same level as those who are watching them -- maybe
below. They often have young families, their wives work, they're
living on a shoe-string . . . and that won't change until they get to
the majors where the $330,000/yr league minimum will make a definite
improvement in their cash-flow. It tells you why they struggle so
hard, and so long to make it to The Show. More interesting are the
stories of the guys who have been there and have sunk down to AAA,
hoping perhaps for one last call-up, or just loving what it's like to
play baseball, or maybe to be picked up as a coach or manager at the
entry level.

Baseball, in the minors, is a very human-scale game. It's worth a trip
to a small ballpark. Take your camera, enjoy the show on and off the
field.

Best regards

Adam

Message from imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George) ([Leica] Memories from the days of summer)