Subject: [Leica] M3/CL first comparisons
From: charlie at droolassicpark.com (Charlie Meyer)
Date: Tue Sep 25 19:59:31 2007

Well, my new (ok, to me!) Leica CL arrived in the mail today.  For
$225 off RFF, it looked as nice or nicer than those selling for more
on that 'big other auction site'.  I really wanted a user M2 or M3 as
a second body, but the market has gone loony on M2/3 prices.  With
40mm framelines, it mates up well with my VC 1,4/40 Nokton.  The
small focusing patch is going to take a bit to get used to after
being spoiled with the M3 finder.  It's half the age of my M3, and
there's @#$%&! PLASTIC (ok, just a bit) inside), but there's still a
nice heft to it.  At less than half what 50 year old M2/3s are
fetching on that 'other big auction site', I can live with an
internal meter that's off and still know I will be financing part of
Sherry's retirement account.  My Leicas make my LunaPro F look as
unobtrusive as a boom box at a wake, but it is accurate. It'll be a
cold day in hell when 9v batteries are obsolete and unobtainable.

I guess it really isn't fair to compare the cl with the Ms.  I'm
starting a roll in the morning to see if I can adjust to a less
sensitive and precise rangefinder.  For the money, I certainly cannot
bitch.

Rounding out the lens department of the bag is a 135 Hektor that I
picked up from the post office this morning.  Hell, they're cheap
enough ($83 shipped), but the damn 12575 hood was a bear to find at a
price less than the damn lens.  The Hektor is stiffer focusing, but a
CLA should rectify that.  I bought a nice 12575 hood for the Elmar
and Hektor last night for less than $30.  Everything now fits comfy
in a Domke F-803 bag. Big enough to carry the kit...small enough to
keep the G.A.S. in check (yeah, right).

Anyone have pointers about using a CL? I figure sticking to shorter
lenses and stopping down should be a first step.

I'm still hoping just to luck out at some estate sale for another
M2/3.  I was lucky the first time.

Charlie

Replies: Reply from h_arche at yahoo.com (H. Ball Arche) ([Leica] M3/CL first comparisons)
Reply from nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] M3/CL first comparisons)