Subject: [Leica] R lens comparison
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Tue Sep 25 21:26:51 2007

Mark, I think quite different design philosophies. Leica might aim for the
most elegant design with absolute minimum number of
elements, more exotic and expensive glass types, phenomenally tiny
tolerances and very much more labour intensive and skilled
manufacture and assembly. You end up with a very expensive marvel with
fantastic performance wide open or nearly so.
Cosina I think quite different design philosophy, more conventional designs,
more elements, less exotic glass, very modern
manufacture and assembly practices with less pedantic tolerances being
acceptable. Also not many lenses at the fast end, hence very
much easier to correct aberrations.
I have had four CV lenses that worked fine. They are not Leica glass. Not
reasonable to expect identical performance in lenses
perhaps one sixth or less the Leica prices. The price/performance ratio is
really a personal decision. If you look at the ZM range
there are attractive options, which I think that the new Summarits will
compete with directly. Significant that the German made
lenses in the range have very German like prices. Try costing the f2 85 vs.
the Leica AA90 or the Distagon wides. Yikes!
I think it is great for the market that the choices are available.

Cheers
Hoppy