Subject: [Leica] R lens comparison
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Wed Sep 26 00:28:13 2007

Hi Mark
I think the more of the Leica difference is in the mount design and
precision than people realise. I believe the Leica R versions of the
Minolta designs (and Sigma) were better because of better mechanical
design and manufacture and better quality consistency. Particularly
wide angle and zoom lenses require extraordinary precision in the
positioning of the elements both radially and axially for the actual
production lens to produce the full potential of the design. Zoom
lenses need extreme precision in the cams moving the elements about.
According to Canon lenses can be, and of course must be for
autofocus, made less sensitive to manufacturing precision by clever
design and adding elements. This means the objective of the design
compromise is leaning in the direction of ease of manufacture and
suitability for autofocus rather than optical excellence.
Leica otoh have the reputation for optical excellence and design
lenses with this in mind. Sometimes the mechanical manufacture
required to produce their designs is extremely expensive. The 35-70
f2.8 zoom was short lived because it was too expensive to make. The
tri-elmar is discontinued, possibly because of unavailability of
glass but rumour has it that the design was extremely expensive to
manufacture. The WATE notably does not have the extremely expensive
frameline moving mechanism built in (unfortunately for usability but
probably fortunately for cost) and was available at the same price as
the original tri-elmar despite the extra optical sophistication
required for the extra angle of view.

Leica certainly do use sophisticated glasses to get the best
performance from a minimum number of elements but I am sure the
mechanical mount is where most of the extra cost is over the others
and why sample variation is almost never mentioned with Leica lenses
but is continuously discussed in Sigma, CV and Canon lenses. I
suspect the biggest differences between the Voigtlander branded
rangefinder lenses and the Zeiss lenses made by the same people will
be in the specification of the precision and this will explain the
price difference.

Frank