Subject: [Leica] Full Harvest Moon
From: cif at halcyon.com (Larry Bullis)
Date: Thu Sep 27 10:06:43 2007

Moon rocks are gray, sort of like the parking lot at Walmart.  Not very
romantic!  It is said that the Chinese poet Li Bai drowned when trying
to embrace the reflection of the moon in the water, having had a bit too
much to drink.  Had the moon looked like a parking lot, it seems likely
that he would have lived longer.  Of course that story is probably a bit
doubtful, but really, who would find a gray moon exciting?

Using the "sunny 16" or Basic Daylight rule with no modification would
produce an accurate exposure of the moon and render the surface of the
moon as gray, as it is.  Whether it would be the same gray as the 18%
reflectance gray card that meters are calibrated to assume as a
standard, I couldn't say.  You would have to compare a moon rock with
the card.  Talk to NASA, if you feel the need to check.

I suspect that most people would prefer the moon to be white, with full
detail.  That is the way we interpret it when we see it, isn't it?  If
you use the basic daylight rule with say fp4 or plus x rated at 125 iso,
your exposure for a gray moon would be 1/125 second at f/16.  If you
shoot it that way, you can, of course, print it to look white, but it
will look rather lifeless, because it would be right at two full stops
underexposed for that white-with-detail value.  Since it is pretty far
away, depth of field certainly isn't an issue, so I would keep the
shutter speed (sometimes my students spell it "shudder speed" which is
sort of amusing) high, because camera movement is not helpful.  So you
could use 1/125 at f/8 or any equivalent speed/aperture combination to
render the moon as detailed white.

The "error" in underexposing by two stops is far more significant than
differing atmospheric conditions when the moon is visible.

When the moon is full, it is rising when the sun is setting.  If you
want more than just the moon, say a moon as a part of a landscape, it is
pretty easy to do if you make the exposure right for the moon; in the
example above, 1/125 at f/8.  Then "bracket" the terrestrial part by
simply making exposures at intervals, say every 5 minutes or less.
Probably it would not be as interesting if the moon and the earth were
the same brightness; the earth ought to be darker.  From a series of
negatives made this way, it is possible to simply choose the one that
has the desired balance.

Kind of lengthy but this is one of my favorite topics.  If you would
find further discussion of this interesting, look for Ansel Adams'
discussion of his "Moonrise over Hernandez" image.  He used his light
meter for the earth and his understanding of the brightness of the moon
to calculate both the exposure and the development time needed to
produce the image.