Subject: [Leica] R lens comparison
From: rdandcb at home.netspeed.com.au (Rick Dykstra)
Date: Fri Sep 28 16:52:35 2007

The R lenses are every bit as good as the Ms.  In fact the best
performing lenses in the Leica stable are from the R line. 180/2.8
APO; 180/2 APO; 280/4 APO (y'there Doug?), 400/4 module.

Some will say the rangefinder configuration allows unconstrained lens
design, and I'm sure this is an advantage.  But my experience is that
the advantage of the real-life-through-the-lens focussing with Rs is
the greatest benefit.  Focussing with Ms is by remote control through
a mechanically linked rangefinder, and it aint always accurate,
particularly up close.  Ms tend to backfocus when used up close, i.e.
portraits!  R bodies and lenses don't have this problem.

Rs excel with technical photography - macro, telephoto and portraits
that matter.
Ms excel with wide angle and general people photography. Not bad with
Colonels either.  ;-)

Regards, Rick Dykstra.

Focussing with normal to wides is very positive with Ms