Subject: [Leica] And the photo journalist falls....
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Fri Sep 28 17:22:48 2007

At 06:57 PM 9/28/2007, you wrote:
>It speaks about the world's perception that this photograph may
>cause more outrage than one of a monk killed in the same situation,
>yet it should not.
>
>Hoppy

I'm not sure that's true, Hoppy.  I think the Myanmar government is
very aware of the importance of the presence of the monks and that is
the only reason they've held back so far.  One photojournalist more
or less doesn't really matter to them, yet.  In fact, the fewer pj's
they have, the better.  This whole incident has changed my opinion of
"citizen journalists", though.  I was very much concerned that unpaid
volunteers might take the place of actual photojournalists in world
news; but, in a case like this, the average citizens can continue
sending their photos by e-mail when the actual pj's have been killed
or suppressed.  Now the news is reporting that internet access has
been stopped to and from Myanmar, but someday that won't be a
possibility and those who want to control the news won't be able
to.  If the monks are actually being killed or tortured, we are much
more likely to know about it with the current accessibility through
e-mail and internet.

Tina

Tina Manley
ASMP, NPPA, EP, PI