Subject: [Leica] M3 slow speeds intermittent instability ?
From: alex at zabrovsky.com (Alex)
Date: Sat Oct 6 12:21:02 2007

I posted the following question on RFF (Leica section), but I assume
there are no less experienced M3 users on LUG who may be willing to
share their thoughts/experiences:

I have my looking-worn and beater M3 that has been thoroughly CLAed by
Youxin about a month and half ago. Youxin worked wonders and revived the
camera to the new life making mechanics (and advance + shutter) so
smooth and nice to feel, just sings...
However, upon arrival the slow speeds (slower then 1/30) didn't work
properly, apparently got stuck at higher speeds (worked at approx. 1/30
no matter at which setting: 1/15, 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 or 1 sec). The camera
has been sent back to Youxin, he kindly accepted it once again for fine
tuning, figured slow speeds mechanism wasn't engaged, so he made it up
and I got the camera about 2-3 weeks ago back.
So far it worked fine, however I rarely happen to shoot at slow speeds
(very little of low ligth opportunities so far), shot down to 1/30 at
the slowest, but excersized the shutter at slower speeds as well a few
times a week.
Few days ago I noticed something that made me a bit upset: slow speeds
begun mulfuncitoning again, work inconsistently, sometimes do work at
their designated speeds, sometimes got stuck at higher speeds.
Unpredictable.
I contacted Youxin and waiting for his response, but meanwhile I'd like
to hear your opinions. Did anyone encountered such thing with M3 ? What
it can be (working fine then starting slipping to higher speeds....) ?
Any thoughts ?

Thank you in advance, Alex

Replies: Reply from vick.ko at sympatico.ca (Vick Ko) ([Leica] M3 slow speeds intermittent instability ?)