Subject: [Leica] Never judge a book by its cover
From: philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent)
Date: Sat Oct 6 16:12:17 2007

I agree with the tune, Steve. One of the better classic popsongs it is.
But about Nessun Dorma: I prefer to hear it sung by f.i. Andreas
Sch?nberg, who sings it more soberly and with modesty.
Which fits Nessun Dorma perfectly. It 's the difficulty with Italian
music of this period: most of the time it's so overly melodramatic
and bombastic (the big feelings) that it becomes almost painful,
unless sung with some reservation* :-)
Then I prefer Pergolesi's Stabat Mater f.i.
Or all those German and Austrian composers that excelled in bringing
sheer emotion without getting preposterous.

So at least they were good at something :-P (big smiley here)

Philippe

* That's why I never really liked Pavarotti: to much cheap pathos.

Op 7-okt-07, om 00:39 heeft Steve Unsworth het volgende geschreven: