Subject: [Leica] Never judge .. / Bruckner/Gould
From: peterson_art at hotmail.com (Art Peterson)
Date: Sun Oct 7 12:02:14 2007

Douglas wrote:

'Talking of interpretations - has anyone else ever compared Jean Sibelius
2nd Symphony (and the Karelia Suite for that matter)?
1 interpreted by Ashkenazy
2 interpreted by Leonard Bernstein

'I have never heard such a difference in interpretation in my life - Lenny
took all
the emotion out of it, Ashkenazy brought out everything that Sibelius stood
for in
Finland and Karelia. An amazingly moving interpretation!
It has a similar 'ooomph' that a decent interpretation of Elgar's
Nimrod or Barber's Adagio has - pure distilled emotion.'

Try to find and listen to Arturo Toscanini's live 1940 broadcast performance
of it with the NBC Symphony (it was on a Naxos CD), so intense, dedicated,
and passionately emotional that you'd almost expect to find blood on the
studio floor after it was over!  As with so many performances by Toscanini,
no one else even comes close.  The broadcast (and the Naxos CD) also closed
with an equally searing performance of 'Finlandia.'

Art Peterson

Help yourself to FREE treats served up daily at the Messenger Caf?. Stop by
today.

Replies: Reply from douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp) ([Leica] Never judge/ Sibelius 2/Arturo & Vladimir a comparison)
Reply from kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] Never judge .. / Bruckner/Gould)