Subject: [Leica] We knew it was destined to happen? Positive about the Negative
From: Afterswift at aol.com (Afterswift@aol.com)
Date: Tue Oct 9 15:51:42 2007

In a message dated 10/9/2007 3:02:46 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
lug-request@leica-users.org writes:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/09/business/09film.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slog
in

The NYT story said a few things that are sobering: First that  comparatively
few digital prints are being made. Second, that film sales  are plummeting
and
that fewer stores are offering film processing. There seems  to be a
dichotomy here. What's the point of spending $hundred, or thousands on
digital
cameras if the product is declining?
What's the object of using any camera if no tangible images  are produced?
Virtual images are ephemeral, as we all know.

However, everyone seems to overlook one inescapeable advantage  of film:
NEGATIVES. In the heat of digital people tend to forget that fact. Five
years
from now if someone asked you to reprint a specific digital image, do  you
suppose you could find the file? I doubt it. I worked out an elaborate way
of
cataloging digital files, but I can't guarantee that the CD's that store
them  will
function 10 or even 5 years hence. I do know that my negatives -- even
filed
by date alone -- will reproduce a particular print made even 50 or  100
years
down the line.

Sure, I love to use the D70 and my Oly 5050 digitals. But I  think I know
when and why to use them. Besides, I always have a film camera with  me --
usually my Leica CL with the 40mm lens -- as backup.

One of the problems is that Kodak doesn't know how to  re-advertise and
remarket film, by emphasizing the virtues of the negative.

Bob

Replies: Reply from reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid) ([Leica] We knew it was destined to happen? Positive about the Negative)
Reply from images at comporium.net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] We knew it was destined to happen? Positive about the Negative)