Subject: [Leica] We knew it was destined to happen? Positive about the Negative
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Tue Oct 9 16:58:32 2007

At 06:51 PM 10/9/2007, you wrote:

>In a message dated 10/9/2007 3:02:46 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
>lug-request@leica-users.org writes:
>
>http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/09/business/09film.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slog
>in

>The NYT story said a few things that are sobering: First that  comparatively
>few digital prints are being made. Second, that film sales  are
>plummeting and
>that fewer stores are offering film processing. There seems  to be a
>dichotomy here. What's the point of spending $hundred, or thousands
>on  digital
>cameras if the product is declining?

Most people are not making prints anymore.  They are sending photos
by e-mail or posting them on Flicker or My Space for all of their
friends to see.

>  Five  years
>from now if someone asked you to reprint a specific digital image, do  you
>suppose you could find the file?
>
>Bob

I can because I'm a professional photographer and everything is filed
and catalogued - updated when the storage system changes.  I'm sure
most people who are shooting snapshots keep no records and are just
happy to share the photos with their friends immediately.  Those who
are really into either photography or family history will investigate
enough to know how to save their photos so they can be retrieved later.

Tina

Tina Manley
ASMP, NPPA, EP, PI
http://www.tinamanley.com