Subject: [Leica] re: just joined
From: 54moggie at embarqmail.com (Robert Lilley)
Date: Sun Oct 14 09:02:05 2007

Welcome,

I am a relatively new comer to the group myself but I've used Leica's over a
35 year period.  I owned a Leica IIIf during my army days and used it in
Vietnam. The small compact shape and collapsible lenses allowed me to carry
it in the shirt pocket of my jungle fatigues.  I used it all over the world
and sold it to a colonel in the Turkish army while stationed in Izmir.  I
have since regretted the sale.

I've also owned various M cameras, which didn't grab me as much as the
earlier screw mounts - but that is just me.  I think there are pros and cons
to both M and screw mount Leica cameras but I would recommend starting off
with a screw mount.  Not only are they cheaper but the lenses are easier to
afford as well.  I think it's all about the glass anyway and would place
acquisition of lenses over a more costly M with the modern viewfinder.

Weather you go with a screw mount or M, you will have a good experience,
Leica's are lovely cameras but, if you buy used and most likely you will,
make sure you budget money to have the camera overhauled.  There is nothing
worse than tripping over flaws in a camera while in the field.  I'd rather
have an old Leica II that functions seamlessly over an M6 with issues.

But then, I drive a 1954 Morris Minor Series II Tourer ever Sunday afternoon
and love it.

Rob