Subject: [Leica] IMG: Rochester, now power point
From: chs2018 at med.cornell.edu (Chris Saganich)
Date: Thu Oct 18 07:46:26 2007

Philippe,
I often give PP presentations to large groups.  There are two things to
keep in mind, first that the audience is not suppose to interact with the
PP program but the presenter and therefore the presenter has to be dynamic
and able to interact with an audience, by keeping a good pace, be
interesting, keep people involved, and switch directions when he is loosing
people.  The presentation its self can reflect the personality of the
presenter, for example I use my own backgrounds which I create from my
photography.  The second is the information has to be highly specific
regarding what you want people to learn or take home.  A well organized
presentation can be like a narrative, a play, etc.  It can take people
places they didn't except to go.  So, within such a framework it is
possible to get a dynamic presentation but there are many pieces that must
go together in an additive fashion.
Chris

At 04:53 PM 10/17/2007, you wrote:
>I agree that such still is the best presentation technique, Sonny.
>But in a limited time, large audience situation (and they do occur),
>this just isn't possible.
>In that case, something like PowerPoint is needed. Or anything that
>is better if existing.
>Such as Keynote. But that still can't do what somebody with a bit of
>imagination would like to do.*
>I see a lot of them and I have seldomly seen a good screen
>presentation. Except for All Gore's one.
>But that was a multimedia presentation, and that takes a bit more
>time (and budget) than most of us who have to do (and make)
>presentations can spare.
>Hence my frustration.
>Therefore: Avid Light, Adobe Premiere or iMovie (or anything with a
>graphical interface), but with a timing module. That would suit me well.
>
>Sorry if I was unclear.
>
>Philippe
>
>* So -as much as somebody would like to make it interesting- these
>kind of presentations tend to be boring, anyway.

>>When I have a show-and-tell presentation about the Melrose Imaging
>>Project,
>>I do not use Power Point.  I don't even bring a computer.
>>
>>I bring some nice large prints, and  pass them around among the
>>audience as
>>I make my presentation.
>>
>>http://www.nsula.edu/watson_library/MelroseProject.htm
>>
>>--