Subject: [Leica] Hoppy does Barcelona - first report
From: nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Mon Oct 22 21:15:45 2007

Steve,

Some people will have had bad experiences, and will no doubt recount
them. But I have to say that I felt absolutely no threat in Barcelona
(or any other Spanish city for that matter), not on this visit and
not at any other time. Pickpockets are always an issue in places with
many tourists, which certainly includes Barcelona (as well as Hoppy's
other city on this tour, Amsterdam). But taking sensible precautions
(don't use backpacks, don't keep your wallet in the back pocket etc.)
will be sufficient. Certainly not a reason to not go there or to keep
the camera in the bag.

The only place I have ever visited where I felt threatened was New
Orleans some time in the late 80s; I was walking somewhere on the
edges of the French Quarter with my father, and some decidedly dodgy
characters started following us. I quickly made my way back to the
relative safety of Bourbon Street. I was not worried about
pickpockets in that case, more about getting mugged or worse.

When visiting Spain, the biggest nuisance are the beggars, especially
the Gypsy women with babies on their arms, who will accost people
eating at outside tables. Some of them have friends who may try to
steal things off you, so do not leave the cellphone, camera or wallet
on the table.

Nathan