Subject: [Leica] Hoppy does Barcelona - first report
From: sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter)
Date: Mon Oct 22 21:42:25 2007

On 10/22/07, Nathan Wajsman <nathan@nathanfoto.com> wrote:

> The only place I have ever visited where I felt threatened was New
> Orleans some time in the late 80s; I was walking somewhere on the
> edges of the French Quarter with my father, and some decidedly dodgy
> characters started following us. I quickly made my way back to the
> relative safety of Bourbon Street. I was not worried about
> pickpockets in that case, more about getting mugged or worse.

Ha!   One time I was working on a film  for the Episcopal Church.  I had the
committee at my office on Burgundy Street, a group of  people from around
the state.  It was lunchtime, so I suggested  we go across Rampart Street to
Minty's for sandwiches.

Rampart street  is on the Lake side edge of the French Quarter, but  I often
went there for their very excellent Roast Beef Po-boy soaked in a garlicky
gravy,  slathered with mayo, tomatoes, lettuce, swiss cheese on a freshly
baked French loaf.

But I digress.   We walked in, ordered our sandwiches.  Before the food
arrived, in walked ten of the scariest looking Dudes you might imagine.

My companions were visibly shaken.  One whispered, "Do you think we need to
get out of here?"

I laughed,  and told them to sit tight.  The denizens who just arrived were
members of NYPD's  undercover French Quarter Patrol.

New Orleans can be dangerous, but then, so can Natchitoches.

--
Regards,

Sonny
http://www.sonc.com