Subject: [Leica] dealing with nitrate film
From: durling at cox.net (Mike Durling)
Date: Wed Oct 24 19:56:57 2007

Since the nitrate part is the base you can develop the film as you would
safety film. You might also be able to wash and hang the film to
straighten, depending upon the condition of the film, it since the film
is possibly curled from the emulsion losing moisture.

Nitrate film is highly flammable and will deteriorate over time. The
gasses from the deterioration will hasten the process so it is important
not to store the film in a sealed container. If enough is stored in one
place and not ventilated it can, if it gets warm enough, spontaneously
combust. I doubt you have enough to worry about. Check it every once in
a while and make sure its not getting bubbly.

The best resource is Kodak's "The Book of Film Care" which used to be
available as a PDF but I don't see it online anymore.  You can read an
executive summary here: http://www.loc.gov/preserv/care/film.html

Have yourself some fun and clip a piece of leader and take it outside
and light it. It burns pretty vigorously.  Just don't do this with a
1,000 foot roll :)

Mike D