Subject: [Leica] Developer for Neopan 1600/TMax 3200
From: freakscene at weirdness.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Fri Oct 26 18:50:50 2007

>Yes, I agree that you're not a slouch, when it comes to printing and
>using your darkroom.

Thanks.

>But, Neopan 1600 has such poor resolution, that it's my film of
>choice for C/V lenses. It's very forgiving for those lenses, and
>equates fairly well the dynamic range of films experienced by the LTM
>shooters of bygone days.

Resolution isn't something I worry much about; tonality and contrast are
much more important to me.
Neopan 1600 has enough resolution for what I want to do, though I've never
measured it.  Eyeballing
photos made on Neopan 1600 suggests that it resolves more than Fomapan 400,
which I've used a lot of
over the years.  It's interesting what people emphasize.

>On the other hand, you'd do better pushing Neopan 400 to 800, with an
>appropriate developer. The Neopan 400 pushed, is far better for the
>reasons you mentioned earlier, than Neopan 1600 pulled.

Perhaps; but I was never happy with the shadow contrast of pushed Neopan 400
and I had problems matching
prints of photos taken on Neopan 400 by my normal method.  I'll give it a
try sometime again in the future.
It would certainly be handy to be able to travel with a single type of film.

One thing I have noticed with Neopan 1600 is that, like APX 400, it benefits
from being developed promptly
after exposure.  The latent image must be relatively weak.

I'll try your suggestion and let you know how I go.

Marty

--
Want an e-mail address like mine?

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Developer for Neopan 1600/TMax 3200)