Subject: [Leica] IMG: PAW 43 dlridings
From: dlridings at gmail.com (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Sun Oct 28 23:46:58 2007

Lennart, Hoppy and Phillipe, thank-you very much for the positive feedback.

These have been stressed times. That is one of the reasons I've fallen
behind in commenting on all of the shots that I've wanted to. I make
too many mistakes when I write in haste.

One of my ways of relaxing is to walk around on the heath or go to the
coast. That old tree has taken quite a beating through the centuries,
but it is still standing.

Thanks again all. In a couple of weeks I leave the dark, damp north
for a kick-off of a new research project in Africa, in Malawi. It's a
remnant of my former academic life but still closely related to what I
work with now (language technology). We'll be processing texts in
electronic form to put them into shape for lexicographers to help them
create terminologies and dictionaries in the various languages of
Malawi for using in the schools. A shoestring budget, as usual
(humanities don't attract much money for our efforts. Everyone thinks
we should be lucky to even get paid to work with such luxury subjects.
It is a "call", not a profession).

Anyway ... Lennart, Rebecca really likes the Pentax. I try wrestling
it out of her hands (I like it too), but I'm not going to succeed.

She's quit using the kit zoom and uses the fixed focal length 28/2.8
almost all the time. She likes the size of the package it creates.

I'm looking for a new digital before I leave too. The D100 has served
me well, but it's time to pass it on (to one of my sons).

I'll get some good paper and try to make a nice print, Hoppy. Not sure
I can pull it off. I've lost the patience for darkroom work. I used to
know how, but I'm a little too social to hide away in a dark, damp
room for hours when those hours make up a very sizable chunk of the
total time that I am at home.

Daniel