Subject: [Leica] 16-16-15 lens comparison
From: len-1 at comcast.net (Leonard Taupier)
Date: Sun Nov 4 09:00:05 2007

Leo,

I have the WATE and have used my son's CV15 and also looked at some
of his photos he took with it. I mostly use the WATE with my M8,
which corrects for any vignetting, but I have also used it on my film
MP. I have never even seen the Zeiss 16mm so can't comment on it. My
son's photos with the CV 15 were taken on a film camera as well.

I find the CV15 vignettes more then the WATE on a film camera.

My son's photos were all taken on the Boston Common with a lot of
trees in the pictures. The branches on the ends and in the corners
were fuzzy. I attribute that to focus error and shallow DOF. I didn't
see that when I used the lens.

I see barrel distortion using the CV15 that I don't see with the
WATE. Mostly I see no distortion with the WATE but I do have one
photo where the corner of a church very close to the edge of the
frame shows a little pincushion. I don't know if the church is built
that way but in any case it's only on one frame out of many I've taken.

All of these lenses can benefit from a finder with a built in bubble
level like what's built into the new Leica Frankenfinder that comes
with the WATE kit. An un-level camera will give you pretty distorted
pictures with all of these lenses.

There is a huge price difference between these lenses, however with
the WATE you actually get three lenses in one. The CV12 may be better
then the CV15. For the price I think they are very good lenses. A
coupled RF would help.

I hope this helps. I can post a couple WATE photos taken with the MP
if you like.

Len