Subject: [Leica] photography, gender roles, power structures, my daughter, and the beauty standard
From: kcassidy at asc.upenn.edu (Kyle Cassidy)
Date: Sun Nov 4 11:08:44 2007

In light of recent events -- I feel compelled to speak out.

Photography has been a huge, possibly the largest, part of the definition of
the American beauty standard almost since its creation. The Goudy ladies
turned from pencil sketches to photographs as rapidly as the technology
allowed. And the first stop that a young woman makes on her way to
representing that American beauty standard is with a portfolio. Which means
she visits a photographer, usually on the photographer's dime if she has any
chance, or on her own if she doesn't. Of the millions of women in this
country we might think of as "beautiful" -- only the smallest handful will
ever actually be models (I really recommend Jurgen Teller's sad and
beautiful photo book "go sees" in which he documents all the women who show
up at his studio door for a year, hoping to be models). This leaves a trail
of extremely attractive young women, desperate to BE what they see on
magazine pages every day. As photographers we are lucky -- a little talent,
dedication, and a lot of practice and most any photographer, no matter how
over weight, out of shape, etc. can produce fashion images that grace
magazine pages, billboards, and newspapers. You can study your way to being
a skilled photographer, but you can't study your way to being beautiful.
Here are careers made and hearts broken.

Somewhere beneath that over-layer of fashion and beauty photography there
exists a sub strata that disturbs me to my core -- a species of photographer
known in the industry as GWAC's (Guys With A Camera) -- they have a camera,
they have two strobes, a pair of umbrellas, and a white seamless and they've
made a personal hobby out of preying on the aspirations and hopes of young
women who desperately _want_. On the one hand, you can view this as harmless
hobbyism -- women who want to be models, men who want to be photographers,
existing in a symbiotic relationship producing photographs -- and that
actually often happens -- the Internet is filled with talented part-time
models and skilled part-time photographers who produce mutually benefitial
product every day and fuel sites like modelmayhem.com -- indeed, this is
where the alt.fashion industry arose. But at the same time, there are
photographers who use the modicum of skill they have to lure women into
situations that are _not_ mutually beneficial, they produce hard drives
filled with bikini photos, and topless shots of women in fedoras caressing
Mamiya 645's, that will never see, nor were they ever meant to, see the
light of publication -- they're "personal use" photos whose sole function is
to get the photographer in a room with naked women. In my mind it's the most
obscene kind of voyurism, based on lies, in which one party is coaxed into
actively participating  in a role she's been mislead into thinking is in her
benefit. It's like a dude ranch for women, made out of film and dreams.
"Come to this shoot, get undressed, show your friends your photos -- they'll
be jealous you're a bikini model and they're not." But nobody's warned them
to beware of a "fashion" photographer who wants you to bring your own
wardrobe. As I've been telling models for years -- once you're naked on the
Internet, you're naked on the Internet _forever_. It's a decision worthy of
a lot more contemplation than "Ooh! I get a CD of all the shots?!"

We see advertised now across the country fantasy "retreats" for
photographers where models and lighting are provided and groups of the newly
cameraed cluster around one another, jockying for position, snapping away at
a topless vixen. Then they retire to the bar to discuss lens caps or set up
"private" sessions with the models. This is no more "photography" than
shooting an Ibus tethered to a stake is "hunting". It does not serve the
greater cause of photography but instead emboldens an evil side that is
unmotivated by talent, skill, and creativity and thrives on the emotional
plunder of some by others, placing men in falsified positions of power.

I don't know what the solution is -- you can't teach good taste in a weekend
Nikon workshop, but perhaps calling this particular monster genre out of the
closet and pointing a finger at it is a start.

Hopefully my daughter (if i had one) would have posessed a critical eye for
portfolio review and never gotten involved, but there are millions of
daughters who don't posess that, who've never been exposed to photography on
a critical level and can't make those judgements. Support arts education in
your schools and communities.

kc

Replies: Reply from bjq1 at mac.com (Bernard Quinn) ([Leica] photography, gender roles, power structures, my daughter, and the beauty standard)
Reply from reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid) ([Leica] photography, gender roles, power structures, my daughter, and the beauty standard)