Subject: [Leica] 16-16-15 lens comparison
From: len-1 at comcast.net (Leonard Taupier)
Date: Sun Nov 4 18:22:14 2007

Hi Mark,

I'm kinda fussy with the glass I buy. I can't tolerate bad barrel
distortion. The biggest offenders of course are the wide range zooms
which have barrel at the wide end and pincushion at the narrow end. I
have been using Nikon lenses for many years and pretty much have not
had to worry about this distortion. I also have the Nikon AF 14mm
f2.8 lens and find it to be pretty free of distortion. Just like my
Leica gear.

I have been using a Canon 5D camera for the last few months primarily
for it's low noise and to utilize the full frame for my Nikon and
Leica wide angle lenses via adapters. Well I decided to get a Canon
zoom to carry around and I got the Canon 24-105mm L zoom. This is one
of Canon's so called L professional lenses. I found this lens was
very sharp but the barrel distortion was so bad at 24mm that I would
not use it. The distortion was very weird. The upper half of the
frame was fairly straight but the bottom half of the frame bowed in
like a fish hook. I took it back to my dealer and tried another new
one right off the shelf. Same exact performance. The dealer is very
good so he said get anything else you want. So I tried the 24-70 L
zoom. It was very good at 24mm but at 70mm it had bad pincushion.
Both of these lenses are Canon's L lenses and cost over $1000. I
think they're crap. I ended taking home a fixed focal length lens. I
won't buy another Canon zoom. I'm actually thinking of getting rid of
all my Canon gear, except for the 20D I use with the 560 Telyt, when
the Nikon D3 comes out.

Len