Subject: [Leica] ISO 1600
From: dlridings at gmail.com (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Mon Nov 5 04:03:53 2007

On Nov 5, 2007 12:07 PM, G Hopkinson <hoppyman@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
> Daniel, I can understand Douglas' impression of a little coolness. However
> I think this may arise from Rebecca's fair complexion and
> the white top. Sampled as reproduced the darks and specular highlights are
> commendably neutral.
> Can I offer some opinions on the colour points raised?
> Firstly, suitability for what use? Web display, printing?

Well, in this particular instance, for the web. I might not have
noticed the difference but the laptop and desktop are right next to
each other at the moment.

I've never trusted the laptop screen for editing. That takes part of
the fun out of Lightroom. On other other hand, I am getting good at
studying histograms rather than screen visualizations. It helps a bit.

> What was your light source, white balance used, RAW conversion etc. That
> is a lot of variables, ultimately it will also depend on
> your intended use;

Light source was kitchen and window lighting.

RAW conversion NEF -> DNG when I imported into Lightroom.

> You can't reliably judge anything on your lap top screen. It is almost
> certainly much higher contrast, temperature and luminance
> than you would want for soft proof type evaluation.
> There is no profile in the provided jpeg at all.

Thanks for the info about the profile. I didn't _want_ there to be a
profile in there since you can't trust how they will be used on the
web.

I suspect that the lightsource in the room where I am also plays
tricks on the laptop screen (cold light source).

Thanks for taking the time. I can at least trust my desktop screen,
which is what I have always used in the past. Like I wrote a few lines
back ... this time, the laptop just happened to be right next to the
desktop screen and the difference is great.

Thanks again!
Daniel

Message from hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson) ([Leica] ISO 1600)
Message from douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp) ([Leica] ISO 1600)