Subject: [Leica] IMG: Malawian snaps
From: dlridings at gmail.com (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Mon Nov 5 07:37:27 2007

The standard of living is somewhere around the second lowest in the
world, statistically.

But when you are there, you wonder what they are counting.

The IMF tricked the shirt off of Malawians' back a while back. They
were in debt (of course) and had a maize surplus (the staple food, the
"potato" in "meat and ...").

The IMF gave them the advice to sell of the surplus to get some cash. They
did.

The rains didn't come and starvation set in. The surplus was gone.

They've learned. The lecturer in the picture keeps a stash of about 30
seed bags of maize (corn) that he grows himself and can mill to flour
as needed.

Yes, it is a poor country. I've seen worse.

Best,
Daniel