Subject: [Leica] ISO 1600
From: dlridings at gmail.com (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Mon Nov 5 09:58:19 2007

On Nov 5, 2007 6:33 PM, Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> wrote:

> Given we've both worked film for many years with our finished product a
> print, it's still my final "test if you like" on whether a digi-cam cuts it
> or not at high ASA 1600-3200.

Right up there with you, Ted.

My wife just came home. I put the print on the table without any comment.

"That's nice!" she said.

I'm satisfied. :-)

> I attempt to produce the best image on screen, then without further
> fiddling
> I go right to a 13 X 19 size print. If I had a larger printer I'd go as big
> as possible. Even if 8.5 X 11 were to be the final size required. Simply
> because the look of the print and subject is still the most important out
> come of our photography.

Yes, that is what photography is about for me too. Lately, it's been a
chore getting black and white the way I want it. It was such a
refreshing experience to churn out a few color prints through my
printer (an older Epson R800). Nice anc simple. Epson's Matte paper
and just trim it in ... now everything's just fine.

> By the look of your test as it appears on the screen at 1600 works fine.
> Another thing I've learned is, don't trust, "how well a photograph looks on
> one screen compared another screen." Or in the case of the LUG, a thousand
> screens! :-)

Thanks Ted. I'm really happy to hear from you. Just a few days ago I
almost dropped you a line off-list to make sure all was well.

This D80 is a nice little package. It is one I'll be carrying all the
time. That was my requirement. The next camera I bought wouldn't be
one I'd ever leave at home because of size or anything else.

Be well!
Daniel

Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] ISO 1600)