Subject: [Leica] OT: Fixing radioactive lenses
From: geebee at geebeephoto.com (geebee)
Date: Wed Nov 7 14:41:16 2007

From: "Leonard Taupier" <len-1@comcast.net>

>I have an old Pentax 50/1.4 Super Takumar that has, over time,
> yellowed due to one of the elements containing Thorium, a mildly
> radioactive element. The addition of thorium makes a very high
> refractive index glass, and a very good lens. This lens is probably
> one of the most famous lenses with this element but I'm sure there
> were more.
>
> The fix for removing the yellow cast to the lens is to expose it to a
> UV source like sunlight or a UV light for a week or more. I have been
> putting the lens in a window during the day and exposed to a black
> light at night.
>
> My question is concerning the glass used in my windows. They are made
> of high E glass and have an air space between the double panes. I
> know high E glass is supposed to suppress  Infra Red but I see no
> info on if it passes Ultra Violet which is at the opposite end of the
> light spectrum. Does anybody know?
>
> Thanks,
> Len

One man's remedy for the yellowing. May be a little extreme for your
purposes :-)
http://www.hermes.net.au/bayling/repair.html

Replies: Reply from jhnichols at bellsouth.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] OT: Fixing radioactive lenses)
Reply from len-1 at comcast.net (Leonard Taupier) ([Leica] OT: Fixing radioactive lenses)