Subject: [Leica] Img: Radioactive lens fix works
From: anders.nygren at gmail.com (Anders Nygren)
Date: Sat Nov 10 10:00:23 2007

On Nov 10, 2007 11:34 AM, Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com> wrote:
> >For those of you interested in the Pentax 50mm yellowing problem,
> >Here are photos taken before and after 116 hours exposure to UV
> >light to reverse the yellow cast problem due to the radioactive
> >element Thorium in one of the lens elements.
> >
> >Before photo. Lens has brownish, yellow cast.
> >
> ><http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/LeonardT/Pentax/Takumar_50_2.jpg.html>
> ><http://tinyurl.com/233emd>
> >
> >Here is a photo taken after only 116 hours of being exposed to UV
> >light. The exposure was to 16 hours of sunlight and 100 hours of UV
> >from a blacklight.
> >
> ><http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/LeonardT/Pentax/Takumar_116hrs.jpg.html>
> ><http://tinyurl.com/2bx7do>
> >
> >I did not expect any improvement this quickly if at all. I'll
> >probably keep the lens in front of the blacklight for a few days
> >more to see if there is any further improvement.
> >
> >Thanks for your interest.
> >Len
>

> Very impressive. I'm still not clear on the actual process of
> reversing this colour change, though. As Chris Saganich pointed out,
> available UV radiation is too long wavelength to have enough energy
> to boot electrons around to reverse these colour changes, as far as I
> know. On the other hand, clearly there is enough energy in the UV
> radiation. Something awfully low energy is happening here.
>
> In any case, it looks like the lens is well on its way being
> 'filterless' (internally) again.

Isn't UV the recommended treatment for fungus? It sounds like a
more probable explanation. But of course it sounds much more
esoteric to blame the radioactive glass for the colour change.

/Anders

Replies: Reply from philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent) ([Leica] Img: Radioactive lens fix works)