Subject: [Leica] Img: Radioactive lens fix works
From: len-1 at comcast.net (Leonard Taupier)
Date: Sat Nov 10 08:21:21 2007

For those of you interested in the Pentax 50mm yellowing problem,
Here are photos taken before and after 116 hours exposure to UV light
to reverse the yellow cast problem due to the radioactive element
Thorium in one of the lens elements.

Before photo. Lens has brownish, yellow cast.

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/LeonardT/Pentax/Takumar_50_2.jpg.html>
<http://tinyurl.com/233emd>

Here is a photo taken after only 116 hours of being exposed to UV
light. The exposure was to 16 hours of sunlight and 100 hours of UV
from a blacklight.

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/LeonardT/Pentax/
Takumar_116hrs.jpg.html>
<http://tinyurl.com/2bx7do>

I did not expect any improvement this quickly if at all. I'll
probably keep the lens in front of the blacklight for a few days more
to see if there is any further improvement.

Thanks for your interest.
Len

Replies: Reply from chs2018 at med.cornell.edu (Chris Saganich) ([Leica] Img: Radioactive lens fix works)
Reply from henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff) ([Leica] Img: Radioactive lens fix works)