Subject: [Leica] Canon G9 or Leica M8?
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat Nov 10 17:52:12 2007

Howdy Crew,

I suppose to save many of you the effort of reading to the bottom of this
post I should tell you right now the out come, but I wont. :-) Isn't that
maddening? ;-)  It isn't long as all he wanted to do was get out and start
shooting with his own camera! .. Doesn't that sound familiar? ;-) We've all
gone through those feeling on more than one occasion. :-)

So just a couple of quick observations.

12.1 mega pixel was a surprise. We shall see how good when we knock off a
few 13X19 prints probably tomorrow sometime.

What I thought interesting is the M8 is bigger over all yet has smaller mgp
and screen. The G9 has a humongous size screen, yet tiny in over all
physical camera size. One can almost hide it in the palm if you have a good
size hand. Certainly fit very easily in a shirt pocket.

The various buttons for settings and fiddling feel comfortable and handy to
use with the results showing very large on screen. I found the ASA setting
rather interesting because you can set the ASA on automatic and the camera,
depending on light level conditions, will automatically select the required
ASA for successful exposures. Or you can set your ASA manually as required.

Both systems gave excellent exposures under various lighting conditions.

Sorry that's about it for the moment because he went out the door!!!!!! :-)

Oh yeah which camera? Obviously from the tone of the post it's the G9! :-)
Oh well he'll have Leica's one of these days as he learns although the G9 is
unique and simple to use, it still wont produce the magic that comes from
working with a Leica. Whatever model.

More when G9 things happen that we find interesting. Certainly after
printing some photos.

Thanks again everyone.

ted

Replies: Reply from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] Canon G9 or Leica M8?)