Subject: [Leica] Epson printers: No more aftermarket cartridges?
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun Nov 11 16:22:59 2007

Harrison McClary offered:

>>>Very annoying.  I decided that these Epson's will likely be the last
Epson's I buy.  Their customer support is not where it should be IMHO.  From
what I have seen the Canon larger printers are pretty nice.  When this 4000
dies I am going to look long and hard at the Canon lineup.<<<<<

Harrison like you, when my 2200 dies I too will be looking at Canon not
because of any complaints about the quality of prints, but the cost of ink!
:-(

I believe when I spoke with Tina regarding ink costs, it works out to about
$3000.oo or more a gallon!!!  Granted we don't buy a galloon at a time. But
if you figure out cost per ink cartridge and volume enclosed it costs a huge
amount of money. Hell you don't pay for the finest single malt scotch what
Epson charge for their inks.

If people are going to other manufacturers for cartridge's that fit or
cartridges being re-filled by other look a like inks there's a major reason
for that. EPSON charge, the word should be "gouge customers" beyond a
reasonable price for their inks.

Of course I have no experience with ink cost for Canon or other printers and
it may be similar amounts.

As far as their "customer support?" Quite frankly I don't believe it exists!
In theory maybe, but in real life it only happens at a trade show like the
PMA or related gatherings. Try phoning? .. Don't bother nor have I ever
received an answer to an e-mail question.

ted