Subject: [spam] Re: [Leica] Totally OT: Prius experiences?
From: rsphotoimages at comcast.net (Bob Shaw)
Date: Fri Nov 16 16:39:02 2007

About ecology and Prius batteries:

When the 2003 was rolled out, Toyota bought a "Classic" Prius taxi from
it's owner in Vancouver, BC.  The car had about 240,000 city miles on
it.  Original battery still working fine.

They gave him a new Prius (which he promptly painted and put into
service).

Toyota shipped the old Prius to Japan for disassembly and inspection.

The hood (bonnet) and rear hatch (boot) are made of aluminum to reduce
weight and conserve fuel.  The Coefficient of Drag is one of the lowest
in the world for any production care.

Every time you let off on the accellerator or coast down a hill, it
regenerates voltage.  This also helps with braking.  No one knows for
sure how long the brakes last on the newest model.

It doesn't really seriously start "pushing air" until about 62 MPH (my
favorite cruising speed).

Finally, it is a "PZEV" rated (Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle".

So, for the money and given the state of the industry, I had no problem
buying one.

Bob