Subject: [Leica] Erwin Puts tests the summarits
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Mon Nov 19 15:40:59 2007

Just to add two Aussie cents. I wish that Erwin was on this list. I don't
know anything of any previous history of his here. I know
too that you have not been unfairly critical in your post here. I get a
great deal of good information from his website, his Lens
Compendium and his contributions to the pocket guide. I don't always agree
with every point that he makes or occasionally his
methodology, but the man is a treasure trove of detailed information. By a
very long way, the most technically thorough information
available for gearheads. I have never seen many photographs by him at all,
but it is his technical analysis that I read for (MTFs,
resolution etc). Reading his reviews in detail, you will find praise for the
Zeiss M mount lenses (just bought one based on his
review), over the Leica equivalents in several cases as well as positive
comparisons for some Canon optics in some instances. On
Cosina Voigtlander he makes positive comments, taking into account value for
money.

Probably worth saying that Erwin does not charge for access to his web
reviews, and you can even download his entire Leica lens book
(sans pictures) with a donation requested. It has all of the updates not in
the last print edition. I would buy any printed book on
Leicas from him without hesitation, but not now from the original publisher
as has been touched on here before.

Now on those new Summarits, LFI and Leica's own site have some good info now
too. Those organs of course, you would not expect to be
critical. From what I have read thus far, it seems that they do really well,
especially stopped down just a little. An astute
business move for Leica, IMHO. The prices obviously should make them do
well. Having said that they are still competing head to head
with used lenses of legendary status, like the current Summicron 50, the
pre-asph 35, and the under rated Elmar M 90. I bet they
sell a lot of the 75s.
I think that we will see more price increases for the exotics, they really
are only for those who want or need or like to think that
they need the best and are fortunate enough to be able to fund their lust
occasionally. I'm not so impressed with the prices for the
dedicated Summarit lens hoods (not included) at about 10% of the lens
prices. Zeiss does the same thing though.

Cheers
Geoff Gearhead