Subject: [Leica] IMG: Car stickers
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun Nov 25 13:44:14 2007

> We were out walking at dusk today. I spied a couple of funny things that
> people stick on their cars.
>
> <http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/album170/L1002370RatherBe-w.jpg.html>
> <http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/album170/L1002374FamilyValues-w.jpg.h
> tml>
>
> M8, 50/2 Jupiter-8, at f/4 and f/2.8 respectively.
>
> The subject of the second picture was parked on the street. But the owners
> came running out of their house asking "Can I help you?"  I said, "I like
> your feet."  Then it was OK.
>
> --Peter

I bemoan the lack of bumper stickers now as there is now a lack of bumpers.
Less than a bumper crop of bumpers on cars nowadays.
Most cars seem to have gone through the same excruciating extrusion process.
Like the latest model Frigidaire.
Making them look right at home in your kitchen. Or laundry room.
The bumpers ruin the computer wind flow charts.
So they just leave them off. No they're underneath somewhere. You have to
smash through the body of the car to get to them. Clever.

And this making for a lack of places to put the latest dwindling bumper crop
of bumper stickers.
But here I see someone's gotten around that.
And its not Photoshop because Peter doesn't do Photoshop.
Check the Adobe site they talk about that. Adobe.com
That was my first impression of the first shot. It was a layer.
But they glow funny those bumper stickers. Always have.
Certainly a main reason for their popularity.
You're not going to smash  your car in the night into a glowing moving
billboard of mini non sequiturs coming around the corner.

I think the first bumper sticker was
"Carlsbad Caverns".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlsbad_Caverns_National_Park
I see there is no mention of the Bumper Sticker (BS) being responsible for
its existence or popularity. But I bet it was right in on the beginning when
the marketing people first thought up the place.

Now see that second one that's NOT A BUMPER STICKER.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/album170/L1002374FamilyValues-w.jpg.
html

That's a window decal. In reverse.
And now that all the windows are so heavily tinted you cant tell them from
the body of the car (like the bumpers) this fits right in on that "getting
around that" theme.

The key may be a cardboard stencil and mini can of spray-paint.
They do make spray paint for refrigerators.
Gets the avocado out out out.

Mark William Rabiner
markrabiner.com