Subject: [Leica] Cleaning Marks
From: vick.ko at sympatico.ca (Vick Ko)
Date: Sun Nov 25 17:25:09 2007

The Tri-Elmar is fine.  As you said, it is almost permanently welded to my
RD1.

So, the lens that I wrote about is a 50mm f1.1 Nikkor internal mount lens.
Very much a collector item lens, and I had been looking for one for a while.

I got it at a Tamarkin auction and it turned out that it was a piece of crap
rated at EX. The front and rear lens surfaces were full of cleaning marks.
And two out of the three internal doublets were de-cemented.  I just
re-cemented the one doublet that I could get access to; I fixed the other
decemented doublet by re-applying blackening paint.

But the part that really upset me was the description of "a mark on the
front lens".  Well, that mark was a 1/8th inch long gouge.  I doubt that the
lens can be repolished to remove the gouge, but perhaps the cleaning marks
can be removed.

I was extremely disappointed with Tamarkin; as auctioneers of classical
equipment, I would have thought that they would know how to accurately rate
a lens.

I went out cross-country skiing today.  I haven't done that in a couple
years.  My brain seems to remember that I used to go faster and more
gracefully than what my muscles could do today.

regards
Vick