Subject: [Leica] Leica D lens 4/3rds question._Now sensor size.
From: imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George)
Date: Tue Nov 27 11:48:30 2007

Right. The point = use your equipment to fill whatever frame you've
got available for best results. Always has been and always will be.

All this stuff about crop factors makes little sense (to me). Take an
8x10 camera and a 400mm lens. Fill the frame with a human head and
shoulders. Put a 5x7 back on the same camera. Move back and fill the
frame. Put a 4x5 back on the camera and move back some more to fill
the frame. Put a 6x9 back on the camera move back some more to fill
the frame. Hang a Hasselblad on the back of the same camera and move
back some more. Hang a 5D, R8, M7 on the back and move back some
more. A DMR or M8. Back up some more. A 20D. Back up again. A
four:thirds. Back up some more to fill the frame.

Obviously with each reduction, of the recording device frame size,
your angle of view is reduced; as is the amount of fine detail
information recorded in relationship to square mm's of chip/film. As
Doug said, "Use the largest recording device frame size that you can
afford to buy and/or carry and you'll achieve the highest quality
image from any given lens (lens optimization not included).

Yes the chips are getting better and better. The smaller chips in the
new 4/3 systems are capturing wonderful amounts of information. Yet,
if the same chip technology is used in a chip twice the size - will
do better than its smaller brethren. If you need to test this theory
- simply expose two frames on whatever film or chip and stitch them
together (as several on this list have done) to achieve twice the
pixel/film grain information in relationship to the scene.

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george@imagist.com
www.imagist.com