Subject: [Leica] Cutting edge photography
From: leowesson at gmail.com (leo wesson)
Date: Tue Dec 4 19:29:17 2007

No, not cutting edge but I wanted to comment on his work.  He's good.  And
he's collectible.

Cutting edge is really hard these days.  There are so many good shooters,
artists.  So many old rules and guidelines being broken and
re-hashed but not really  much that you haven't seen before.  The work that
I have seen recently that stopped me and made me say holy crap, i've never
seen this before was by James Balog.  Photos of trees.  Kinda like "Pear
Blossom Highway"
*http://tinyurl.com/29j4om  *  (one of my alltime favorite images) but so
much more.

http://www.sierraclub.org/sierra/200511/trees.asp

Scroll down and read about the giant sequoia.

I saw a proof of this image that was 8" tall; the finished prints were
supposed to be 30' tall (haven't seen one of them) Really amazing.  I have
never seen a tree like this before or since.  So that makes it cutting edge
to me.

This image by Salgado is cutting edge.

http://www.terra.com.br/sebastiaosalgado/photos_op1/w_screen09_1.jpg

While looking for a url for that I found this:  a color version of something
similar shot 10 years later.  never seen this image before.  not cutting
edge.

http://tinyurl.com/yv2rny

I could go on and on about this....*
*
this brings up something else; i need to plug galleries and museums.  the
problem with the internet is that it isn't a print hanging on the wall or
being held in your hand.  the web is  a good place to research but you have
got to see artwork in person to appreciate it as it was meant to be seen ( a
book is better than the internet).   further point, make prints of your
work, don't just look at it on the monitor. It looks different on the wall
or in your hand.

Leo

--
Leo Wesson