Subject: [Leica] Some more 'cutting the edge'
From: amr3 at uwm.edu (amr3@uwm.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 10 21:37:39 2007

Quoting "Don Dory" <don.dory@gmail.com>:

> Philippe,
> By definition, art is an attempt to reach your soul; bypass the analytical
> part of our thinking.

I found this to be true for me now.  By going on gut feelings, maybe I'm
repudiating my own discipline, (or getting very lazy).  In college I studied
Art History, analyzing, analyzing, without neccessarily being taken with the
art.  I never thought much about many artists, whose work I'd only seen in
books, for example, Jackson Pollock; he just did splatters, right?  But when
went to his retrospective at MOMA in 1999 I was staggered by the works.  They
just grabbed me and pulled me into what seemed like infinite spaces.  I
didn't
want to leave the gallery, and when I did I was afflicted with great sadness
that I'd never again get to experience so many of his paintings at one time.
have the catalog of the exhibition, but even the exquisite reproductions fall
short of the feelings I got being up close to the paint, feelings I can't
really put into words.

Photos can go right to this same place for me too, and find it hard to
explain
what grabs me about an  image (which results in my bland postings here  ;-}

> So yes, art is only practical as it brings us to places we could not get to
> without a little help from someone else's vision.  People could go on
> without art, it just would be a lot grayer.

That's for sure.

Alan

University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
Office Phone: 414 229-6525 | E-mail: amr3@uwm.edu