Subject: [Leica] Absolutely OT - Indian Music Examples
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Thu Dec 13 19:49:22 2007

Bob,
Whatever you call it. By the time of Coltrane's first brilliant Village
Vanguard recordings, his solos on "India" or "Impressions" or "Chasing the
Trane" from that album would not have been very out of place in a nadaswaram
or shehnai (both types of oboe) concert here. The later free music
(Coltrane, Ornette, etc) is very easy to listen to not only for me, but for
people I have played it for, who have absolutely no exposure to Western
music, whether it be classical, jazz or popular. So there must be some link
here on the training of the ear to when young, which is what I was referring
to.

The basic problem is that most people only enjoy music that is familiar -
this is as true to listeners here as well -  and have little energy in
pushing these boundaries. I love improvisation in music, and am a huge fan
of Keith Jarrett's fully improvisational solo ramblings as well. The point
is not how often he gets boring, or repetitive, but surprisingly how often
he is illuminating.

One of the best examples of successful collaborators is Ry Cooder - as you
are a guitarist, you must listen to his records firstly with Vishwa Mohan
Bhatt, who plays a modified slide guitar, and secondly with Ali Farka Toure,
a guitarist from Mali. Bhatt once told me that "A Meeting by the River",
their Grammy winning album, was cut the first time that the two had ever
met, and they just sat down and played. It is an astonishing album for all
that, and well worth buying.

Cheers
Jayanand