Subject: [Leica] IMG: New look
From: phamard at numericable.fr (Philippe Amard)
Date: Fri Dec 21 22:38:55 2007

Tina,

May I bring another point of view on that photo. Maybe too personal but
this is how I feel things.

What I get from your latest two versions is an uneasy feeling of
unfortunately "d?j? vu", and I guess that for people from countries with
a colonial past, and also a troubled present with former colonies for
mine, the photo now looks reminsicent of old illustrations of "the good
savage" as depicted and shown to Europeans in the late 19th early 20ieth
centuries.

http://www.lillustration.com/Connexion

Consequently, the humanity that was present in the original version and
that others said is now missing, is for me lost to the dark side of
history.
If your intent is to revive those definitely not glorious days, then
you're there, why not after all, it is your choice.
But if not, I'd suggest going back to the original or trying another
post-treatment that would avoid this issue.

Mind you, I'm definitely not trying to be controversial here, rather,
I'm sharing a personal view on why it does not work for me.
Technically I rejoin others about sharpening, and I would add that the
tonal range is too limited and the blacks are too present so that you
get the type of effect found in early printed photographs as a result
(cf: link above).

Hope this helps.
Most respectfully
Phil...x