Subject: [Leica] [IMG] PAW 35 - Speightstown Pier
From: jhnichols at bellsouth.net (Jim Nichols)
Date: Thu Dec 27 09:26:28 2007

Peter,

I love the photo, particularly the composition of the line of light posts.
However, looking at the enlarged version, my old engineer's curiosity is
aroused.  What is the function of the cable, cord, whatever, that is
spiraling around the post?  Having dealt with stabilizing slender stacks in
strong winds, I first thought of vortex breakers to break up the shedding
vortices which cause such structures to whip back and forth from side to
side.  On closer examination, this does not appear to be the case with these
posts.

Any suggestions?

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA