Subject: [Leica] December 2007 LUG Photo Contest results
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat Jan 5 12:48:54 2008

Hi Brian,

A follow-up on your comments on this #2 photograph. Not as a judge but a
general viewer.

I don't mind the clutter at all because that's life in the surroundings of
this elderly gentleman and could very well be an establishing shot for a
photo essay. Eventually some close-ups or mediums would cut down on the
general environment look of clutter.

What I immediately found fault with ."was the camera wasn't held straight!"
It was tilted down creating unnecessary distortion and didn't require any
tilt at all if the photographer had squatted slightly keeping the camera
parallel. Actually it would've strengthened the photo by the slightly lower
angle. Now that isn't much of a squat, very tiny and watching the picture on
the wall upper left corner..

Your point on the face tone similar to wall tone might have been corrected
slightly with a touch of PS contrast or printed on a #3 or # 4 harder grade
paper. Sorry a relapse to the old days and wet paper. ;-)

I think more than anything if we put "print-screen quality" aside it's a
very interesting documentary photograph illustrating "having a nap" and
where they live.

ted